Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Blogging back to life

I keep trying to revive this thing, and I keep getting distracted. Just shows you something. I believe in communicating science to the public, but I guess my heart is in doing research... especially right now and this early in my career. Nevertheless, I hope to have a few posts up on what I've been working on and what I've been thinking.

Mostly, however, I've just moved to Berlin where I've taken up a postdoctoral fellowship at the Museum für Naturkunde. Slowly, I learn little bits and pieces of German, too... and enjoy the cheap and tasty beer that can be found here.

The Society of Vertebrate Paleontology Annual Meeting is coming up in September. It will be in Bristol, UK. I'm giving a talk. I think the abstracts are embargoed, so I don't think I can publish details of my talk here, unfortunately. But I'll do so as soon as I can.

I'm in the process of writing a review about a topic that has been done to death. Why write a review, you say? Because, in spite of the number of times it's been done to death, the side that is wrong still hasn't died, apparently. Eek! This is taking up a bit of my time because, as you might expect, it's stalling and stalling... kind of like this blog!

In the meantime, I'm CT-scanning lizards*, legless lizards, and snakes at a micro-CT scanning facility here in Berlin. I'm also in the midst of setting up a breeding colony for geckos. Perhaps as things develop more, I will write a bit more about my current project which (as you might have guessed) is somewhat removed from my previous work on fossil fish.

*OH NO! I just use a paraphyletic group! More on that later.

1 comment:

Roberto Keller said...

We need more blogging on homology, so get on with it!

BTW, you can keep your heart in research and use your blog as an open lab or thought journal. Your colleagues can also be interested in the hidden path leading to scientific results; the stuff that doesn't get reported in papers. I know the general public likes to read about that too. Cheers.