Monday, January 23, 2006

Finally, something I've always wanted (needed)...

I'l be headed to Sweden's (very short) west coast tomorrow for a week-long zoology field course. We'll be collecting plenty of marine invertebrates that I'll try to collect pictures and post them here (I'm sure to PZ's delight).

I'm actually taking an undergrad course this winter because - get this - I never had a proper zoology class during my undergrad days. While McGill is certainly a different place today (and I highly recommend it), there was no zoology/anatomy class when I was there waaaaaaay back in '01 to '04. No, it had to go and change after I graduated. Oh well... Now I'm making up for it - and it's gonna be a blast!

4 comments:

PZ Myers said...

Will you be posting those pictures in time for next Sunday's Circus of the Spineless?

Martin Brazeau said...

Hey PZ. Good to see you here! I think I might be able to manage that, yes. All depends on what kind of computer facilities I will have available to me while at the field station.

Rod said...

Well, at least you had good evolution classes at McGill (and good evolution TAs, right?) :)

Martin Brazeau said...

Hey Rod!

Good to hear from you! I had great classes at McGill and it was a fun time, to be sure. But I always resented that there wasn't a good course or two on animal morphology. There was Dave Green's herps class which was fun and an 'entomology'-like class that was kind of a joke. I'm filling in an important part of my formation that would otherwise have to be self-taught -- and that's a tall order now that I have other things to tend to as well.

As for evolution, the classes were great. I still think that Graham Bell's (not the phone guy) book is still best ever written on selection.