Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Welcome to The Lancelet!

Add one more biology blog to the list, here comes The Lancelet! Here you'll find the random musings and deluded ramblings of a palaeontology graduate student.

Why "The Lancelet"? This is the common name for an animal sometimes known as Amphioxus (Branchiostoma) - a primitive chordate that has long functioned as a living archetype for the ancestor of all vertebrates... maybe that will be a post for later this week: the history of The Lancelet... but I'm sure there are a number of those on the web.

Books I'm reading:
The Vertebrate Body by A.S. Romer and T. Parsons. Because I never received any formal training in anatomy while I was an undergraduate, I now have to spend my time teaching these important lessons to myself.

From DNA to Diversity S. Carroll et al. Because, when one reads about anatomy they want to know "how the hell did this evolve!?" Carroll and co-authors have bring the complex answers to this question down to lowly wannabe anatomist like me. I recommend it for anyone with a working knowledge of molecular biology.

In the meantime, I'll try to get some news up that the other science bloggers aren't already crawling all over.

1 comment:

Juan M H said...

go ahead
good blog!